Principal Security Engineer
Seattle, WA, USA
This job was posted on:
September 4, 2020
$ - $
About The Role
In this role you will bring your leadership and technical expertise to develop, own, manage, and improve the technical security controls that protect our infrastructure, products, services, and data. This role blends security leadership, engineering and analytical skills. We want you to help design, specify, deploy and operate the solutions that protect our products from attack as well as detect and respond to alerts warning of possible anomalous behavior or vulnerabilities in our systems. You will be responsible for improving our information security operations program including working with other engineering teams to integrate security monitoring into their flows and processes. You must be comfortable working with cloud technologies and how to best leverage the security features provided by our cloud service provider or by choosing our own.
In this role, you will be working with management, technical leaders and engineers, external auditors, and at times, directly with our customers. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
1. Technical Fluency - A passion for security and technology, familiarity with infrastructure as software, Kubernetes and microservices architectures.
2. Advisory Skills - Giving direction, advice and support that helps grow the technical and collaboration skills of the individuals and teams with which they engage.
3. Execution - Planning, coordination, managing dependencies and risks, diving deep when issues arise.
- Partnering with engineering teams to design, build, select and implement effective technical security controls to detect and alert on security events across the Outreach infrastructure and protect the Outreach platform and customers.
- Providing security technical leadership to set requirements and help other teams understand and meet their security obligations to make good risk-based decisions.
- Writing code where needed to automate controls where possible and to deploy new security capabilities.
- Identifying gaps in coverage of the Outreach security controls and working across teams to specify and deploy improvements that address these gaps.
- Selecting and/or creating specific applications and functions that integrate with the Outreach platform and build systems that provide the right detective controls that alert on suspicious or anomalous behaviors or vulnerabilities.
- Participating in and helping lead information security response activities across Outreach and its products.
- Developing and implementing solutions to collect, transport, and process security data to support risk-based decision making.
- Integrating security monitoring and measurements that enable engineering teams to quickly spot potential problems and respond to security events within their DevOps processes.
- Interpreting the results of penetration test results and other technical audits and working across teams to champion and implement reasonable mitigations and remediations.
- Using DevOps tooling and processes to implement security remediations.
- Creating data flow diagrams and threat models that guide design recommendations.
- Translating security requirements and obligations into effective security controls.
- Providing security subject matter expertise and training to teams across the company.
- Ensuring cross company support for all aspects of security by establishing partnerships with other Outreach teams with the overarching goal of improving trust of Outreach and its products.
Successful candidate must have the following skills, experience and qualifications
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in an information security engineering role or relevant DevOps experience, 3 years writing code to help solve engineering problems, and 2 years in a technical leadership role.
- Experience creating, implementing, and managing technical information security controls including developing or leading security incident response processes and teams.
- Experience automating AWS services to support information security goals and mission.
- Direct experience working with SaaS cloud based applications in AWS or Azure.
- Experience defining and implementing security controls for containers, microservices, and orchestration software.
- Experience identifying and collecting the data that supports effective security dashboards that summarize the security health of the environment across multiple security domains (e.g., networking, host, application, identity, etc.).
- Have a history of successful cross-organizational efforts.
- Ability to analyze problems and make appropriate decisions quickly.
- Ability to drive large, complex programs and solutions using both direct and virtual teams.
- Experience managing multiple external vendors across broad and complex work engagements.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and independently to achieve results within the dynamic Outreach culture.
- Ability to maintain extreme confidentiality.