Olympia, WA, USA
This job was posted on:
August 9, 2022
$98 - $148
General Summary: The Data Engineer will collaborate with software developers, BI developers, Analysts, and Data Scientists, to exploit data to drive the business forward. The Data Engineer will seek to discover opportunities for data innovation and improvements across the API and BI landscapes. The Data Engineer will attain a deep understanding of our infrastructure and systems and provide hands-on solutions of engineering data to serve customers, drive intelligence and tell the story of our business.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design, implement, and maintain complex ETL/ELT solutions on-premise and in Azure that will support business requirements.
- Design, implement, and maintain data solutions from data collection and curation through to content delivery via reports, dashboards, and other toolsets.
- Model and develop databases, schemas, and data structures to ensure high performance for high volume OLTP or OLAP databases as required
- Assist Web and enterprise systems software developers with best practices for writing queries, query tuning and schema refinement, particularly for soap services
- Solve complex requirements using advanced-level SQL techniques such as window functions, CTEs, CROSS APPLY statements, etc.
- Incorporate appropriate tools, technologies, techniques and design patterns to create maintainable, scalable, high-performance database solutions.
- Design, implement, and maintain code in development, test, and production environments both on prem and in the cloud. Design solutions to support systematic promotion between environments.
- Perform work of high difficulty in writing, modifying, tuning, and debugging database indexes, queries, stored procedures, views, user-defined functions, and other database entities.
- Assist Web and enterprise systems software developers with best practices for writing queries, query tuning and schema refinement, particularly for web services.
- Automate complex processes using Databricks, SSIS and SQL Agent jobs.
- Take ownership of technical initiatives and drive them to completion based on project specifications and corporate coding standards using managed code and a source control system.
- Stay current with Microsoft SQL Server tools and technologies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Love of data
- Use of Microsoft Azure Data Lake, Data Factory, and Data Warehouse
- Proficiently in SSIS, Databricks, Data Factory, SQL Server Data Tools, Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio 2016+
- Experience in SQL performance analysis and optimization (tuning / optimization).
- Excellent data modeling and schema design skills, including normalization and de-normalization.
- Fluent in C# and/or Python
- Experience in Data Sage, Data Mirror, CDC Infosphere a plus
- Ability to write and maintain reports using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and Power BI a plus
*Potential for something around monitoring and performance issues
Updating statistics, understanding Deadlocks, blocking, missing and unused indexes and I/O bottlenecks
Reviewing logs to ascertain root cause of performance issues and downtime
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field or 1-3 yrs. relevant work experience
- Ability to work well within deadline-oriented development structure
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment
- Strong technical abilities and desire to learn new things
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skill, teamwork, and customer service skills
License and Certifications:
- MS DBA certification a plus
- Azure Data Engineer Associate certification a plus