Chief Development Officer
Seattle, WA, USA
This job was posted on:
January 4, 2022
$90000 - $110000
**This position is located in Seattle, WA**
Our client is searching for a Chief Development Officer. This position is a key partner to the Executive Director and Board of Directors and leads all fund development and communications activities. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the CDO will collaborate and influence organizational direction in resource allocation, budget, and priority setting. Activities of this role include directing campaigns, establishing, and maintaining contacts with potential financial supporters, and private and public organizations. The CDO manages the grants program, by identifying potential grant opportunities and overseeing the preparation of proposals. The CDO also oversees the volunteer program and all internal and external communication for the organization using our Constituent Relationship Management System.
Planning and Implementation:
- Create a fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the orgnization. Activities will include direct mail, major gifts, grants/foundation relations, corporate partnerships, new donor acquisition and current donor retention efforts via traditional and social media platforms stewardship/moves management processes, establishing a robust planned-giving/bequest program and supporting special events like our long standing and highly successful Celebrity Waiter’s Luncheon.
- Monitor, develop and evaluate, key performance indicators and strategies to advance the mission of the organization.
- Redevelop and oversee volunteer program which includes interfacing with program staff to identify key roles filled by volunteers.
- Develop policies and procedures for the Development and Communications department which reflect ethical fundraising practices which includes, the organization's Values, Guiding Principles and the fundamentals of community centered fundraising.
- Oversee the administration of a donor list and relationship management database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor and volunteer information.
- Supervise in-kind donations and the issuing of receipts.
Staff & Volunteer Supervision:
- Recruit, retain, develop, supervise, coach, and evaluate mission-driven and high performing Development and Communications Team.
- Responsible for development and management of department budgets
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts, and expenditure, related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy within the organization
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Manager, to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the mission and community impact of the organization.
- Supervise the design, printing, and distribution of marketing and communication materials in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Manager, for brand awareness, community awareness and development efforts.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
The Chief Development Officer is an exempt salary position, based on a 40-hour work week; some weekend, evening or holiday work may occur. Schedule may for allow for in-office and remote working.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree required or 10 years related experience
- Exceptional management, leadership and team building skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, volunteer management, and computer systems.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively multi-task, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Superior active listening, observations, analytical and problem recognition and solving skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computer for Salesforce or other donor database software.
Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.